The City Hall Station on the Interborough Rapid Transit (IRT) line opened in 1904 as a showpiece for the new subway system. Unlike the rest of the line, City Hall featured tall tile arches, brass fixtures, and skylights that ran along the entire curve of the station. This station was the place chosen to hang the commemorative plaques recognizing the achievement of building the underground train system.
Almost immediately after opening, the entire IRT line needed expanding, and the solution was longer trains. Stations needed to be expanded, and this was disastrous for City Hall. The new trains had moved their doors to the center of each car. On a curved station like City Hall this created an dangerous gap between the exit point on the train and the platform.
The City Hall Station was closed on December 31, 1945. The skylights were covered over and the station was boarded up. Although it would spend the next few decades closed to the public, the tracks were still used as the turnaround point for the IRT 6 after its final Brooklyn Bridge stop. So while the station was lost to the ages, it was not forgotten.