From the page: "Spicy Chicken Tomato Soup
Cumin, chili powder and cayenne pepper give Margaret Bailey's slow-cooked specialty its kick. "I serve bowls of it with crunchy tortilla strips that bake in no time," she writes from her Coffeeville, MIssissippi home. "Leftover soup freezes well for nights I don't feel like cooking."
CATEGORY: Main Dish
METHOD: Slow Cooker
TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
* 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
* 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
* 2 cups frozen corn
* 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) tomato puree
* 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
* 1 large onion, finely chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder
* 1/8 teaspoon pepper
* 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 4 white or yellow corn tortillas (6 inches), cut into 1/4-inch strips
In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
Place the tortilla strips on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 5 minutes; turn. Bake 5 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf from soup. Serve with tortilla strips. Yield: 8 servings. "