The Mansion originated as a residence, built by Mr. And Mrs. John Hulme, in the late eighteen hundreds. In 1882, Mr. and Mrs. James Smith purchased the Mansion and surrounding grounds and converted it into a park and summer home. After Mrs. Smith's death in 1893, the property was willed to the Philadelphia Protestant Episcopal City Mission. At this time, it was used as a convalescent home for women. The Westtown Township purchased the Mansion and surrounding grounds some seventy years later.