What a juxtaposition...
What a juxtaposition...
I've stumbled across this image perhaps three or so times in the last few years and I've never made a comment about it because I haven't really had one. I have one, now, however. The contrast here is both simpler and far more complex than the average viewer might understand. On the one hand you have two Muslims, sitting a foot or so apart, watching the other couple being publicly affectionate. The symbolism is not so clear. Here are a few of the interpretations that spring to my mind:
1) The Muslim couple is frigid and emotionally stunted and the other couple is relaxed and in love.
2) The Muslim couple is just as or even more in love than the other couple, but they don't display their intimate relationship for the world to see, as they treasure it and respect it and each other too much to spend in public what is better enjoyed in private.
3) The Muslim couple is real and the other couple is a metaphor for the love between them.
4) The other couple is real and the Muslim couple are a metaphor for the world's judgment of the openness of their affection.
5) The mystery and majesty of erotic love is too precious to cheaply show off to the world, so the "right" perspective -- displayed by the couple on the right -- is to be conservative in public.
6) The deep, abiding love of a couple who is serious about commitment to each other and to their families and to God is so much more faceted than this superficial display. The Muslim couple looks on in confusion, wondering why this couple feel the need to show off something so easy. Their home life is rich with generations of committed marrieds who stayed together all their lives, and the opportunity for affection and hugs is so commonplace as to be expected; no need to flaunt it.
Everything is not always as it seems -- Strike that: Most things are not as they seem.
Interesting, but I do sense a bit of propaganda behind it.
But I could be over thinking it.
Not so much of a "Difference of Love" as a "Difference of Acceptable Public Display of Affection". But that would just be a really long and boring title.
um just coz they don't nearly have sex in public,doesn't mean that they hate each other...
buuuuuut of course people wouldn't miss a chance to flame islam...
haha, muslims can't make love
this pic captures a whooolee wide array of social issues/policies/attitudes/stigmas/behavior that is wrapping the 'clash of da 2 worlds' right now.
(even tho i dont buy the whole East Vs. West crap washed onto the brains of the new generation right now resulting in widening and magnifying the gap b/w the 2 worlds)
Some people who even gave this a thumbs up don't get it. Its not about the negatives, its just about the difference.
Worlds apart, and wishing they could be that free......
Interesting picture, don't you think?
haha this is great
Truth of life