"HEY FEMALE, WOULDN'T IT BE STRANGE IF WE WERE ATOMS"
"WELL ATOMS LIVE FOREVER"
"OH YEAH I GUESS THAT'S PRETTY WEIRD"
There are much easier ways to explain halflife.
This can be easily simplified: A Half life is the time it takes before a given substance is 50% likely to break down.
There, I saved everyone time and effort and, as previously mentioned, shitty clipart.
'cos all womens is dumb (agreed rmg12 - shitty (and stereotypical) use of clipart)
that is a confusing explanation and uses shitty clipart
Good way to describe it. People who say this is a bed representation of the concept are wrong. It's correct.
that didn't make any sense to me at all... was it meant to?
Sort of misrepresents the entire concept.
Wow...I can tell I'm a gamer geek when I read the first line and thought "This is about crowbars and Freeman...isn't it." Wow was I wrong! I'm impressed. I never thought of radioactive decay in this manner; very interesting.
This page is highly misleading as it almost completely glazes over the statistics behind it. If you have 16 atoms, after 70 years you are less likely to have 8 left than some other number. In fact, there is only an 18% chance that you will, and thus 82% chance you won't. (17% you could have 9, 12% that you could have 10, 6% it could be 11...)
It *almost* works up to the words "independent" but shys away at the end, in that each atom is independent of every other, but the trite impression from this is that atoms *in groups* get halved every half-life. We could look at a single atom with a half-life of 70 years that decays in 1 second, or it could also decay in 1000 years, both can happen.
I can see your MIT education really pays for itself