In or out?
Here is a really easy way to figure out if you can deal with the mess in front of you. How many of the following can you deal with:
1. Laying off half your staff.
2. Laying off half your staff again three months later.
3. Spending 20 hours a week on the phone being yelled at and
threatened while trying to renegotiate a dozen contracts--like your
T1, phone system, rent, equipment leases, etc.
4. Having an investor scream at you and tell you that they will ruin you, your career and that "you'll never raise money again, you mother f-er."
5. Laying off half your staff for a third time.
6. Getting served a half-dozen lawsuits, courtesy of the folks who you tried to renegotiate with in point number three who wouldn't deal.
7. Having one of the people you're renegotiating with come to your office every week and ask for their check in person.
8. Having the same media outlet that once claimed you were the next Barry Diller write that you're a fraud.
9. Not getting a good night's sleep for six months.
10. Having dozens of paying clients default on their bills.
11. Having staffers who you really need to double down and focus walk
out the door after you helped make their careers.
12. Have the people who begged you for a meeting at the peak not even return your emails or phone calls.
If you can't deal with these 12 situations, then you're out. It's time to refresh your resume, tell your board you resign, sublet your place and go to Thailand. Go sit on the beach and lick your wounds for $40 a day (all-in) like the fauxtrepreneur you are. You suck. I hate you.