All men should read this.
All men should read this.
I approve of this definition.
Self-control starts with focus and ridding yourself of distractions. Doing this isn窶t easy because temptations lurk around every corner. Real men are able to tame their desires and channel that energy into positive pursuits.
These are virtues that anyone should aspire to, man or woman, but it's nice to be reminded once in a while.
From the page:
1) Integrity - Integrity is more than being honest. It's a lifestyle set on striving towards moral excellence. Real men say what they mean and mean what they say. They are the same person whether or not others are watching. They are trustworthy, dependable, and unwavering.
2) Compassion - Compassion is sympathetic consciousness of others' distress together with a desire to alleviate it. In other words, you feel compelled to help someone who is hurting. Men aren't often viewed as being compassionate, but it is a trait that helps us to become more connected to the people around us. Real men turn their compassion into service and work to make the world a better place.
3) Confidence - Real men are confident. Many people confuse confidence with arrogance and self-centeredness. Real men know the difference. Confidence is about being self-assured and self-aware. Confident men have faith in their abilities and knowledge. They don't need to tear others down in order to build themselves up. They earn people's trust with their radiant, inner strength. When a they walk into the room, everyone takes notice.
4) Self-control - Hardly a day goes by without a news report about some high-profile man who has been destroyed by sex, money, and/or drugs. Too many men lack self-control, but it is the foundation of a virtuous life. Self-control starts with focus and ridding yourself of distractions. Doing this isn't easy because temptations lurk around every corner. Real men are able to tame their desires and channel that energy into positive pursuits.
5) Perseverance - Perseverance is the product of self-control. It is courageous resistance against difficult circumstances. Perseverance is only developed through trials. Real men endure the trials and emerge stronger. They never give up.
6) Bravery - Bravery is the courage to do what is right regardless of the circumstances. Nothing is ever accomplished with an attitude of passivity. Real men stand up in the face of adversity.
7) Humility - Today's breed of young men loves to let everyone know how much swagger they have. They thump their chests and proclaim to the world, "I'm a Big Deal. Look at me!" Real men understand the value of being humble and letting someone else's light shine. They realize that humility is more endearing than self-importance. Humility indicates that you are ridding yourself of the poison of self-centeredness. Besides, humility softens the blow when someone knocks you off your pedestal.
If we are to achieve this goal, we must start with improving ourselves. I started my journey towards self-improvement after my daughter's birth. The greatest compliment that a father can get from his daughter is "I want to marry someone just like you." That kind of pressure forces you to examine your life and look for ways to improve.