* The dog is not allowed in the house.
* Okay, the dog is allowed in the house, but only in certain rooms.
* The dog is allowed in all rooms, but has to stay off the furniture
* The dog can get on the old furniture only.
* Fine, the dog is allowed on all the furniture, but is not allowed to sleep with the humans on the bed.
* Okay, the dog is allowed on the bed, but only by invitation.
* The dog can sleep on the bed whenever he wants, but not under the covers.
* The dog can sleep under the covers by invitation only
* The dog can sleep under the covers every night.
* Humans must ask permission to sleep under the covers with the dog.
From "My Dog is the World's Best Dog" by Suzy Becker.
Yes. It's unbelievable how rapidly your strict rules fade away and dilapidate. It's happened in my house in about one year. Or maybe it isn't such a short time?