That's kind of cool....
That's kind of cool....
Quote directly from the webpage : "The multi-core steel and ceramic radiator absorbs and concentrates the thermal energy of the candle and converts it into dry radiant space heat. Internal temperatures are over 500 deg. Fahrenheit and typical surface temperatures are 160-180 deg. F. You actually get heat into your home or office from a candle, and as long as the candle is burning, the heat is being produced"
There is absolutely no claim that the device on its own "creates heat" as some have previously commented. However, it does claim to capture the heat created from the candle, and then release it. A candle on its own would create heat, yes, but the heat goes away quickly. If you warm up something that retains heat well- like terracotta- it will release the heat into the environment steadily over time. Its kind of like when you use a heavy pan (like cast iron) versus a thinner pan (like stainless steel). When both are heated to the same temperature, and then removed from the heat, the cast iron takes longer to cool down. You can even feel the heat still being let off by the cast iron.
Stupid! No lost energy in the first place.
with all due respect to everybody else's objections, this would definitely retain the candle's heat in the ceramics and give you something to warm your hands over that would work much better than a candle all by itself...
Yeah. First law of thermodynamics, guys. When you change the energy of something, you get heat and work. A candle isn't doing any work, so all the energy becomes heat.
As a physicist, I say "buh?" Where, exactly, does this "lost thermal energy" normally go? The only thing I can think of is that convection currents normally take the heated air to float along the ceiling of the room in which the candle is placed. This ceramic dish instead captures that heated air, and transfers the heat to its own surface, keeping it lower in the room.
This means two things. First, the heat never really goes anywhere; it's always in the room. This may slow it down, but the device will still heat the air around itself, which will then, via convection, also travel to the ceiling. Second, by inhibiting convection, you're inhibiting oxygen flow to the candle. I'm no specialist in chemical reactions, but in an oxygen-poor environment, I believe the flame will produce higher levels of carbon monoxide (an odorless, poisonous gas) than it otherwise would. From just a small candle, I doubt this would cause much of a problem. Just don't use it as a complete substitute to internal heating.
Also, this is horribly shameless, highly biased self promotion. The author is overtly faking a press release, even quoting himself. And again, as a final note to stress the point, the device isn't creating the heat. The candle is.