Some of you may be under the misconception that our nation’s most important summer holiday already passed some time in the midst of July. However, if you take a moment, you’ll realize there is another hotly anticipated summer holiday happening on August 10th – National S’mores Day.
For some, summer means a break from school, an exotic vacation, days spent beach or poolside, warm summer nights, outdoor movies, weekend picnics or outdoor music festivals. For me, these months melt together like the chocolatey goodness of this certain special campfire treat. Summer to me is the equivalent of “S’mores season” as I’m always wondering when and where I’ll find my next crumbly, gooey fix.
I think it’s fair to say you have an obsession when your coworkers unsolicitedly share Stumbles on a topic with you daily. To show my love and appreciation for this summer delicacy, I knew I had to gather together my favorite S’mores Stumbles to share.
A couple fun facts about the S’more I Stumbled on to:
- The first documented creation of the S’more was in the Girl Scout handbook in 1927, so S’mores are at least 85 years old!
- The world record was set in 2003 with a S’more weighing in at 1,600 lbs
- The term “S’more” allegedly stands for “gimmie some more” – can’t argue with that one!
- A brief history of the ingredients:
- Egyptians enjoyed a marshmallow-like treat made with mallow plants as early as 2000 B.C.
- The first graham cracker was created in 1827, originally called graham bread.
- Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bars came onto the scene in 1900.
And now for the good stuff: read on for some of the BEST S’mores-infused recipes I’ve Stumbled.
1.5. And if you prefer your cookies in bar form, there are S’more Cookie Bars that bring the graham cracker straight into the dough. GENIUS.
2. Peering in your cupboard you realize you do not have graham crackers – BUT, you have a certain cereal… Whip together these Golden Grahams S’mores Bars to satisfy your craving.
3. Longest day ever. You don’t want to cook dinner, heck even the thought of microwaving something tires you. Opt for these No Bake Peanut Butter S’mores Squares to get in the kitchen and get out. Plus, get some creamy PB as a bonus ingredient. Win.
4. Dang. That peanut butter really kicked those last S’mores up a notch. WHY NOT GO ANOTHER. Now we have Peanut Butter Cocoa Krispies S’mores Bars.
5. And now for something completely different: S’mores Oatmeal. Anyone who ever said S’mores weren’t for breakfast is a dirty liar – make them eat their words (and this oatmeal).
6. Keeping in line with breakfast dishes, or as breakfast-like as food can be when it involves chocolate and marshmallows, this how-to for Peanut Butter S’mores Turnovers is more than enough to get me out of bed in the morning. (Breakfast-related side note: A bit more extreme, but I guess some people throw donuts into the mix and make S’mores with Krispy Kremes?!)
7. Traditional S’mores are made on a stick, so making S’mores Pops served on a stick as quick bites seems like a no brainer.
8. Okay, lets move past sticks, how else can we get creative with utensils? Wait for it… a jar! Anyone who makes me a S’mores Cake in a Jar can be my friend.
9. Our other Community Manager, Audrey, loves dogs and recently wrote about using StumbleUpon to entertain and care for them. I myself prefer a different kind of bark: S’mores Chocolate Bark to be exact.
10. Finally if all those Stumbles didn’t tantalize your taste buds and give you a new appreciation for how 3 simple ingredients can come together to make unrivaled culinary magic, I give you the Holy Grail S’mores Stumble: the S’mores page on foodgawker.com.
With so many recipes to choose from, you have no excuse not to celebrate this magnificent taste. And with all these S’mores to savor, good thing eating chocolate can help control weight loss according to this New York Times article on a study sponsored by the National Institutes of Health (they would never lie to us right?).
Have a favorite summer treat of a different nature? Watermelon salads? Corn on the cob? Something hot off the grill? Be sure to Stumble our Food/Cooking Interest or more specific Interests in the Explore Box to get the best recipes recommended for your taste buds.
You know what Interest I’ll be Stumbling.
Cheers to a delicious summer!